It's been month since I found some spare time on a weekend to bake something. Yesterday it finally happened, I made Linzer Torte. A delicious, crubly, no-frills treat that is not too sweet. Of course it's a cake with jam. Best to use a fruit spread that's on the tart side. I used my Jaboticaba paste, which worked really well but I could also see this cake with Plum Cinnamon fruit spread or Youngberry jam.
Here the recipe:
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
90g cold Butter
2 Egg Yolks
Jam to cover the cake surface
1. Blitz your almonds into fine pieces. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon and mix. Add eggs. Add butter in small pieces till dough comes together nicely. Use a little more or less butter depending on the structure of your dough.
2. Wrap dough in foil and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
4. Roll out dough, spread jam evenly over the top. Cut dough strips from left over dough and arrange in a criss cross pattern on top of the jam.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till cake is done.